ELAR/Science/HistoryHonors Class Contract
Springtown Middle School
At the middle school level, Honor courses in English, Science, and Social Studies give students the opportunity to practice skills that enable them to be successful in AP classes at the high school level. Honors classes lay the groundwork and foundation for success not only in the AP program, but also for success in college course-work. Like the high school AP program, this program serves the gifted and talented students and above-average students. Students in this program are typically task-oriented, proficient readers who are self-motivated, self-disciplined, and college-bound.
Requirements / Eligibility: In order to be eligible to be enrolled in Honor classes a student must meet the following criteria:
● To be enrolled in Honors Science a student must have passed the previous year’s Math and Reading STAAR tests from at least the midpoint between passing and level 3.
● To be enrolled in Honors History a student must have passed the previous year’s Reading STAAR test from at least the midpoint between passing and level 3.
● To be enrolled in Honors ELAR a student must have passed the previous year’s Reading STAAR test from at least the midpoint between passing and level 3.
Expectations: The successful Honors Course student MUST:
● Complete and turn-in all assignments on time. This includes projects, make-up work and tests. NO LATE WORK WILL BE ACCEPTED!
● Read various works of literature in all genres (ELAR)
● Always come prepared for class (supplies and good attitude)
● Exhibit exemplary behavior
● Maintain a high level of attendance (90%)
● Work toward educational excellence
● Adhere strictly to cheating/plagiarism policies or be subject to removal from the program.
● Students may exit the program of their own accord during the first six-weeks or at the end of the first semester. Any student who fails an Honors class for any grading period will be removed from the program.
This class will be conducted under an honor code. All students will be expected to do their own work. Occasionally, students will be given projects or exams that must be completed outside of class. If a student breaks this code, the student will be removed from the course.
Students who transfer into the district during the year must meet Springtown Middle School’s Honors Class requirements.PDF Copy